Tuesday, June 12, 2007

On The Drawing Board: Sand & Water

I hope you all like how the new one is turning out. I wanted to bring it to the show in Provincetown, with the rest of the pieces on the 18th, but I don't think I will have it framed in time. I may have to bring it down after the exhibit opens on the 25th.

This in progress picture is actually from a couple days ago. Yesterday I spent a lot of time on it and it's much closer to finished.

A few years ago when I first started working with pastels, I had an aversion to backgrounds. I never really considered myself a landscape painter and that's what doing backgrounds is all about. Today, I regard the figures and the settings integral parts of each other. Now that I've done so many, I have the confidence to take on things such as waves and sand, which used to intimidate me so much. They still do a bit, almost as much as feet...which I am saving for last.


No comments: