Friday, December 22, 2006

Latest work in progress


After composing my newest work the past couple of days, I got started with the pastels. Per my usual I am first concentrating on the face. The subtlety of human facial expressions becomes very apparent when capturing it in a work of art. Smudging the pastel in a certain direction or the slightest change in angle at the corner of a mouth can greatly alter the attitude and emotions of the subject. When first beginning, while building layers and working in the variations in skin tone and color, the face goes through a myriad of looks, some not too appealing! While I still have more refining to do on the face, I am calling it a night now that I have it in a state that is approaching what I want. This piece will likely be my last (my 23rd) completed work in 2006.

No comments: