Monday, February 26, 2007

On The Drawing Board: Added Effects



A piece like this has many more special effects than most of my other works. The special effects are things that I typically add or refine once the figure or object is 'established'. These would include, secondary highlights and shadows, reflections of light and color, body hair, sweat or water etc. Here I have all those plus all the effects from the pool, the strong turquoise color, the distortion cause by the water, bouncing light and so on. I have been looking at numerous pictures of people in pools, and though I know that all these elements have to adhere to the laws of physics, I only have to represent them. The light and water is so chaotic with so many resulting variations that I only need to make it look right and pleasing. If someone wants to argue that a shadow would be shaped differently or a reflection would be a different color, I at least have the defense of 'artistic license'!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I think you know just
how we would love to be embraced in
warm water and sun light. I love it

I like to see how you fill in the gray places as well.

I Wish I were there !