Friday, February 15, 2008

"No" to Jamster

A few weeks ago I was contacted by a representative at Jamster/Jamba. If you don't know it, it is a site for downloading ringtones, images, videos, wallpapers etc. for your cell phone. They were interested in licensing my images for downloading.

I was a bit on the fence about it, as I usually am asked to license work. But I usually conclude that as long as my creativity stays separate and I don't compromise my motive or joy for my art I am not 'selling out'.

The terms allowed me to get out if I wanted, so I was going to go ahead and give it a try.

But before signing on the dotted, I Googled Jamster and discovered something that made me send off the following email to the Jamster representative.

Hi (representative's name omitted),

I did a little research on Jamba/Jamster and discovered that it is owned by Rupert Murdoch's NewsCorp, which also owns FOXNews. Well aware of Murdoch's propagandist use of his media empire and his war on journalism, I must withdraw from an association with your company for ethical reasons. Sorry for taking up your time.

Regards,

Michael Breyette

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael:
It pays to do a little research, where would we be without Google? Seriously if I have a question or anything is on my mind that I can not quite fully recall I just Google until it comes back. But I digress....You never know who the man is behind the curtain, Rupert Murdoch exposed again. As much as it would be wonderful to use your artwork as wallpaper and gain some exposure why feed the machine which has already been overfed. A good show of a man with ethics which is not all that easy to come by these days.
Be well, Ron

Anonymous said...

I agree. I totally dig that. I have two things to say; I was standing in the movie store a few weeks ago, looking at the crap on the selvs, like the Fat Actress DVD box set, and I turned my friend and asked, "What's wrong with America right now?" Just jokingly really, and this random stranger emo girl turned to me and said, "FoxNews, man..." I hope run into her again.
And two; while you digressed just a little; you should keep going on the google thing. It's amazing and it's exactly the opposite of what Rupert Murdoch stands for; one man controlling the media and inserting his own (conservative) values. Google gives people multiple perspectives and interpretations on every issue. So... I guess this post is probably too, after the fact.
But right on Michael.

Nick