Thursday, May 01, 2008

On the Drawing Board: Embrace the Dark Side

I always try to pick a shade of paper that suits the project, a light blue for a sunny day or muted brown for an indoor piece like Hoodie. I've only used black once before and that was years ago.

My latest project is something a bit different for me, a series of very shadowed pieces, with a dark and sexual tone. So I am tossing out my aversion to black paper and going for it...and I like it.

These works are on half sheets and are close up shots; another departure from my more elaborate full scenes. I took my camera into a dark room and just played around with a single light. I'm venturing out from my usual methods; breaking some of my restraints which is the theme I was going for with this series: unrestrained.

No comments: