Monday, July 09, 2012

on the drawingboard: summer lake memories


Since I moved to Massachusetts 15 years ago, I get to the ocean at least a few times each summer.  But I grew up near the Adirondack Mountains of New York and Lake Champlain.  Back then, summer meant going to the lake.  While the ocean is fun, there is something special about summer spent at a lake.  The forest comes right to it's edge, which often means you can camp right beside it.  The water isn't salty, and is much calmer, not to mention that compared to the Northern Atlantic, the water can be very warm (actually enjoyable!). Fortunately I have friends who have a cabin on a lake in Maine, so I still get to have that special summer by the lake experience.  Something that I wanted to capture in this latest piece I'm working on.  Of course I've added my own 'cheeky' spin to it!

No comments: