Wednesday, January 17, 2007

"Trainspotting"

I just finished "Trainspotting". I am very proud of how it turned out. I will make it available for sale in the morning at my online gallery, www.studio1088.com.
I'm feeling very upbeat with my latest works. I'm liking the trend they are on. Every once in a while it feels like I reach a "milestone", it's hard to put my finger on what it is exactly, there's just been a certain quality in my last few pieces.
Maybe it is just that these works are post-book. The "Summer Moved On" book captures my works up to a certain point. Now I'm moving forward, building a new collection for, hopefully, my next book.

3 comments:

Beka said...

Hello, Mr Breyette :)

Excellent piece, as always...

I learned of your art through my adopted brother, and like him I became a great admirer.

I'm learning the trade of illustration, hoping to make it in comics or costume design and I find your depictions of the male form entrancing and was wondering which books you recommend to an enterprising artist? I find men to be so difficult to draw and need all the help I can get :)

Your fan,
Beka

Michael said...

Hi Beka,

When I was a kid, my mom had these old books from the 50's called the "Famous Artist's Painting Course". I am sure they are out of print, but I have seen alot of the material reprinted in other books. You can probably find something on figure drawing that gives the basics on proportion and anatomy and illustrates the difference in male and female.

I also found handy bodybuilder magazines. Here, the exagerated musculature can be seen with veins and skintones (unlike most anatomy books). I also found useful and collected regular fitness magazines, underwear catalogs, and publications like Playgirl to see an 'ideal' athletic male form.

Just practice alot and don't try to draw things the way you THINK they are but rather the way they actually look.

Beka said...

Hello again Mr Breyette :)

I love using those sorts of references and have snatched my biological brother's men's fitness magazines when he still lived with my folks whenever I could -- I go through them regularly and I have several books on anatomy for illustrators :)

Thank you for such a prompt response and advice, I sure do appreciate it.

Keep draw such great art! If I had the cash (and my own place) I'd gladly buy some :D

Your fan,
Beka